Saturday, January 26, 2013

Cormorant

                                                                                Google Image
A black bird rises quickly from the river into the breast of a gentle breeze. Turning tightly downstream, the bird swoops beautifully toward the rounded rippling body of deep water. It is just the bird and me in this full and simply complex world but nothing is missing and there is no room for anything else. The bird was feeding and I am walking neither of us knowing we are blessed in this moment.

I watched the bird carve a long moment from the breeze with its sleek black wings and start a slow assent downstream. Before I could imagine it, the lone cormorant flying fast and low turned to follow a distant bend in the river leaving me alone but filled with tearful feelings that I can’t explain.