Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Bald Eagle

                                                                                 Flickr Image
I looked up and saw a hummingbird
The very same bird I know so well
Perched atop an unripe alder
On a bank above the river
Rooted firm at the edge of spring
Now, bursting bark and budding
Before leafless trees nearby
It is the first time I noticed
Anna perched on that tree top
Her iridescence usually tops a dogwood
She waited all through winter watching
Me and my dog walk by every day
Anna has been patient but good
After passing by today I looked back
At the tree for the pointy-beaked bird
But I could not see him in front of the sun
Yet, high above the tree soared an eagle
Strong and still but it was moving so fast
It seemed quiet and motionless up high
Its flight seemed tireless as a dream
Though we hardly ever look for it